• irishtimes.com - Posted: January 9, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

CES!

Ciara O'Brien

It’s January, which means one thing: the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. And luckily for me, I get to go.

20120109-152907.jpg

20120109-152329.jpg

I’ve already done the most important thing after getting off the plane: heading to In-n-Out Burger for the first double double of the trip (possibly the best burger you’ll ever get that doesn’t cost the best part of €20).

20120109-152152.jpg

And today, we’ve seen Samsung, LG, Panasonic and Intel show off their vision of the future – or the next 12 months at least.

Next up is Sony, and from tomorrow we get to hit the show floor to get out hands on all the new gadgets that have been announced.

So stay tuned – there’ll be some updates in the coming days. And if you’re on Twitter, I’m occasionally tweeting from @ciaraobrien, whenever I can get a decent internet connection. Which, despite this being a tech conference, is harder than you’d think.

• petee says:

no way, fat burger is a ‘must visit’ ,amazing burgers

• John O'Driscoll says:

Stay away from American burger joints!! Remember our SuperSize is their Small. Only thing getting smaller and lighter about America is their woonderful Ultrabooks. Ahem.

• Ultimate burger would be the meat from Fat Burger with everything else from In-n-Out. Fat Burger is on the cards for post-show tonight.

• They calorie count all the meals for you there. It’s depressing.

• John O'Driscoll says:

We’re Irish Ciara. We only see what we want to see and we don’t see what we don’t want to see. See those calorie counts? Blink. They’re gone.

• petee says:

eat through the depression , food heaven , worry when you come back

• John O'Driscoll says:

I held a Tosh Ultrabook in my hands not five mins ago. Has a Core i7 and weighs as much as I don’t know a human soul (21 grammes??) well more prosaically as much as the little Casio DF-120TE solar calculator beside me here. Ridiculously light and thin. Beautiful tho’. Only worry I’d have would be if I was rushing somewhere say thru’ an airport with one in my hands and a bunch of other stuff I mightn’t even notice if I’d dropped it.

• John O'Driscoll says:

Wouldn’t have minded being there. DId you get a look at any of the Moorestown platform smartphones? I think Aava have one out? Will probably get one. They’ll talk directly to new automotive ‘black boxes.’ Would be able to call emergency in the event of a crash say. If they ever add in Kinect tech you could say dial a number on a virual HUD keyboard flashed up on your windscreen just wiggling your fingers in the air. Just thought of that. Not that my pair of oul gas guzzlers have that much ‘brains’ in them. When they’re being driven there’s hardly much more in them either. We’ll need a lot of computing power for future climate prediction. Imagine if your smartphone could talk via black box technology to your ECO and advise say of bad weather ahead having pulled that data from the network and the car could adjust things like braking maximum speed recommendation traction control and so forth without you even having anything to do with it. All watched over by machines of loving grace hey. With apols to Richard Brautigan.

Meanwhile, behind the Great Firewall things are looking distinctly censory tech. of a different sort. That’s machines of not-so-loving grace.
      – ”The Chinese authorities are set to step up their regulation of the web by forcing all users of the country’s Twitter-like micro-blogging services to register using their real names. Wang Cheng, head of the State Council Information Office, which controls internet censorship in the country, told reporters that a pilot scheme currently being run in several Chinese cities including Beijing and Shenzhen would be extended nationwide. It is believed that, although nicknames could be used on such sites, users’ real names would have to be registered in the first instance.” (http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2140070/china-cracks-twitter-services)

• John O'Driscoll says:

But xure we’re hardly much better than PRC ourselves in Ho’Lie Mother Ireland where I see the spirit that burned the Tailor and Ansty and kept this neutral island in the heart of man eyes firmly turned inward contemplating the threat to Irish ”morals” (yes, the quote marks are there to signify there is in fact no such thing as morals in Ireland) is alive and well and living in Labour TD and Mini-Minister Sean Sherlock’s attempt to quietly censor the internet by slipping through a law by ministerial order (thus avoiding debate in the Dail) that will allow the government to block any website it deems infringes copyright. Which pretty much knocks Wiki and Google and Youtube on the head if you ask me. And what else, as the country plunges into the grave She’ll be occupying for the rest of MY lifetime anyway, might our satraps want to censor? Social media sites that can be used for organising protests perhaps? Politics.ie and other sites that might – gasp – have the gall, the impertinence, to criticise the extreme right-wing politics (as is now apparent) of Mr Kenny and Mr Gilmore? Even, whisper it, the IRish Times Blogs?
      Nah. Nobody reads them. Yer safe.