• irishtimes.com - Posted: October 28, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

What’s the meaning of life?

Ciara O'Brien

If you’re to believe Siri, it’s something to do with chocolate.

Yes, the iPhone 4S has gone on sale, and contrary to popular belief, it does come with smart-mouth digital assistant Siri included.

Yes, the app is in beta, so there is no support for Irish customisation as yet. And there are some functions that won’t work here just yet, or so Siri tells me occasionally – usually when you’re trying to search for a business.

But so far today I’ve been told what the weather is like, dectated an email, asked Siri some stupid questions and been told off for my language. So it’s safe to say it recognises exactly what I’m saying.

I think I love this a little.

• Kynos says:

Would suggest the meaning of life is death, for without it life would have no meaning ergo QED. Bit bleak though. Perhaps if we’re to put a happy spin on it: death-by-chocolate?

• Kynos says:

But then always said death is something that happens to other people so maybe it has no meaning. Feckin wish you’d never started me thinking on this. Existence is that which is not that which is not always say as well. So maybe the meaning of life is just to be. So that we can know ourselves. Unexamined life is not worth living and all that. Written on the stones of the oracle at delphi suppose it’s an inanimate object that answers that age-old q.

• Kynos says:

But then always said death is something that happens to other people so maybe it has no meaning. Feckin wish you’d never started me thinking on this. Existence is ”that which is not that which is not” always say as well. So maybe the meaning of life is just to be. But it has to have more meaning than that for humans, who doubt therefore they are. Is it so that we can know ourselves? Unexamined life is not worth living? Written on the stones of the oracle at delphi as that is suppose it’s an inanimate object that answers that age-old q an all.

• O says:

Haha, Siri is brilliant!

• Siri says:

Siri says funny things over at Http://www.ohsiri.net

• Dave McG says:

The response ’42′ fills me with joy.
      It also springs to mind another “Hitchhikers…” quote: “The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.”

• Ben Moore says:

I am waiting for the day they put Siri into Asimo.

• Lagle says:

I think it bit of rip-off by apple because if you update your iPhone 4 software in iTunes it will have similar or same functions on it as iPhone 4S.
      And for the “digital assistant” it doesnt recognize what you`re saying most of the time and does what ever it wants!!

• Bryan says:

All the serious discussions going on in the world today its great to read some good old fashioned Irish humour. Thanks

• Laura says:

I could definitely have fun with this :-)

• Elpenor says:

The meaning of life is the rapid turnover of hi-tec consumer products.

• anonymous coward says: