• irishtimes.com - Posted: March 2, 2011 @ 8:46 pm

iPad 2 unveiled

Ciara O'Brien

So there you have it. A thinner, lighter, more powerful iPad is on the way. And not months into the future – March 11th in the US, March 25th for 26 other countries (Ireland presumably included). And not only that but an updated iOS and iPad apps for iMovie and Garage Band are also on the way.

Apple really knows how to put on a show. The appearance of Steve Jobs on stage kicked off the event, and as usual, there was little modesty to be found.

But why should there be? The iPad has sold 15 million units in nine months. It’s generated $9.5 billion for the company in revenue. And it’s prettying wiped the memory of the previous generation of tablets out.

So what does the iPad 2 give us? Dual core processor for a start – faster operation, but the battery life remains the same. Graphics power has also been improved.

There are also two cameras – front and rear facing – for video conferencing, FaceTime calls, etc.

The iPhone 4′s gyroscope is also in there too.

It’s a third thinner – making it thinner than the iPhone 4 – and will be available in black and white from launch.

New accessories include the HDMI output and the smart case (magnets, fits itself to the iPad etc).

When iOS 4.3 comes, you’ll be able to share tour iPhone’s mobile Internet connection wirelessly with other devices.

What didn’t we get? The rumours that didn’t materialise:

A micro USB port.
    Expandable storage through an SD card slot.
    The Retina display.
    Any larger capacities.

The prices, however, will also stay the same.

• Keith says:

It’s really one of the most underwhelming upgrades I’ve seen to date. I don’t feel any incentive to upgrade to an iPad 2, much like the miniature hop between the 3g and 3gs, Apple seems quite content to view their customer base as a cash crop that comes in to harvest once or twice a year, with a scrap of an upgrade here, and there. Add to that their draconian profit hoarding (things like 30% cut for people offering subscriptions on the app store and their closed development ecosystem/dictatorship – wtf?) don’t forget the blatantly strategic lack of support for flash. I’m thinking I’ll be moving to android quite soon.

• Matthew says:

I like their little upgrades. I wouldn’t be bothered upgrading to iPad 2 either but it’s nice to have the option. Alot of people bought iPads over Christmas and they won’t feel like their missing out on too much. I bought one last Christmas knowing there would be an upgrade (not this soon though) but I knew it would be like the iPhone and the upgrade wouldn’t make me regret it. I don’t know anyone that went from iPhone 3GS to 4, people I think usually skip a generation.

• Robert says:

I’m glad I did not buy the ipad 1. So now I can get the 2nd generation. I have the iphone 3gs and will upgrade to the iphone5.

• Mark says:

I agree. I’m a MacHead I’m afraid, but like me, I think a lot of people will skip one or two generations before buying “the new improved version” of what they have. The old ones still make nice hand-me-downs for children or younger siblings though.

• Mark says:

Tell me why would you have purchased the 1st I pad when clearly this type of devise calls for Cameras . Don’t be fooled by the Mac marketing machine .

• Quint says:

I’m not handing over any money until the iPad has retina screen, more storage or expandable storage and has a smaller border or no border at all. Basically, I’m waiting for iPad 3 which could be released as early as the Autumn.

• Lorne Marr says:

It is good to see small improvements but for me iPad 2 is almost identical with the first version. Sure, the shiny new iPad 2 is said to be more compact, faster, lighter, and slimmer and adds cameras, but besides that, there’s not much more in the way of upgrades.

• petee says:

i don’t fancy taking pictures with a photo frame, i’ll stick with my ipad 1

• Matthew says:

I got it for my mother and there was no need to wait for camera.