• irishtimes.com - Posted: December 25, 2009 @ 8:36 pm

‘Tis the season…to Ebay it.

Ciara O'Brien

Christmas Day is (almost) over. Crackers have been pulled, the turkey has been savaged, and gifts have been exchanged.

According to Ebay, we’re sitting on about €179 million worth of unwanted presents. That’s a lot of foot spas, handwarmers and three-packs of underwear.

So we’re advised that we can turn to Ebay to offload the mess of gifts that will just gather dust until we finally get around to disposing of them, one way or another.

Personally, I’d be terrified someone would put two and two together when they saw a one-of-a-kind item, just like the one they bought me, for sale on Ebay.  That would make for a very awkward Christmas and possible a crappy New Year. Luckily for me, I’ve never got the kind of present I want to banish to the dark recesses of a storage cupboard (although I’m almost certain I gave a few in my younger days).

What was the worst present you ever got? And would you be tempted to Ebay it?

• themonboys says:

I haven’t got anything that was really bad in a few years but if I did I would have no problems about flogging it on E Bay.

• EvilTony says:

The only one which stands out for me was the quarter-share ticket for the old Irish Hospitals’ Trust Sweepstakes, for a race which was to be run on St Stephen’s Day.
      The problem – I was given the ticket on Dec 27th. Probably the most useless piece of paper I ever handled.

• Bren says:

Apart from every piece of clothing recieved from my dear old mum at Christmas, nothing really. However the worst Christmas dinner I ever had was a lamb Kebab in a fast food place. Even the Turkish staff felt sorry for me and gave me a discout.

• rose says:

connect 4

• Ó' Dalaigh says:

A CD rack when I had owned two CDs.

• MConmoy says:

This has got to be the worst present ever! I was given a pack of leg was strips…..worse still was that one of them had already been used….

• Esmeralda says:

Family with issues available for weddings,funerals, and other functions and celebrations.Can be hired for the whole of 2010.

• Hugh says:

Somebody hacked into my web site and put a notice up there saying that I was now the proud er…., no, OK then – another model of Milan Cathedral.

• kynos says:

That’s hilarious Bren I had the exact same thing happen me once. Turkish kebab place up around the NCR in Dub it was. Ah was having a bit of a relationship discord that year. C’est la. Nowt lasts 4ever. Worst pressie ever got? Honestly can’t think of it. If someone’s gone to the trouble of buying me a pressie the real gift is the feeling it gives you, regardless of what it is. That someone gives a sh1t about you. Plenty in this world who get no presents at Christmas. Spent this Crimbo a tout seule, just as I’d planned. Needed the break and the headspace. Enjoyed it immensely despite missing my kids (all dispersed amongst their grandparents this year) and it really brought home to me how for some people, for whom spending Christmas alone isn’t a choice, it must be fierce lonely this time of year. Especially if say a loved one has died. Nothing lasts 4ever. It could be any of our lot to end up thus. We should hang onto a few of the pressies we get in the living years to remind us that there were those who did care for us and who doubtless care for us still, albeit from a different place. And sure if we don’t believe that what are we bothering about Christmas at all for?