• -
  • irishtimes.com - Posted: March 10, 2009 @ 2:04 pm

    Internet in time-wasting shocker

    Ciara O'Brien

    Another week, another survey on how the internet is wasting time for Irish employers. This one, by Peninsula Ireland, says Irish employees are wasting two hours and 20 minutes a day on personal internet use [Irish Times].

    Now, does anyone else suspect some fudging of the truth was going on here?

    Two hours and 20 minutes may be a lot for some people, but for others it is probably a bit of an underestimation. We could probably chalk that down to workers with zero internet access balancing out those who seem to spend all their day responding to online news polls and shopping for their next bargain.

    But according to the survey, 92 per cent of people admitted to sending personal emails during work. Which leaves me to wonder about what the other 8 per cent. We can only assume that they either know no one with email, or were lying through their teeth.

    The press release finishes with the company – Peninsula Ireland – calling for employers to crack down on employees wasting time with their internet activities during working hours.

    The survey was conducted among more than 1000 employees and over 608 employers by email and telephone. I wonder if that comes under the heading of “timewasting”?