• irishtimes.com - Posted: February 22, 2010 @ 10:44 pm

Since I’ve been gone…

Hugh Linehan

…those pretty bleak newspaper circulation figures were published.

…I ate the best chocolate I’ve ever tasted.

social networks and new media played a central part in a Government minister’s resignation.

…I nearly got frostbite in the Stade de France

…Google screwed up again

…this blog became nominee number 7.473.641  on the Irish Blog Awards longlist

…I achieved my New Year’s resolution to read the Four Books of the Irish Apocalypse. The second resolution, to post more often, has now been reclassified as a Lenten penance.

• Van says:

” …those pretty bleak newspaper circulation figures were published.”

Charge 50c a month for online access. That’s about €7m a year if half of the 2.3m pay up.

• barbera says:

Bienvenue chez vous Monsieur Turk and nice to see the lights back on in this b/log cabin. Nice chocolates too judging by the top layer — but what lies beneath? Speaking of layers and what lies beneath, Irish politics innit — and another one bites the dust. Glad to see MT is so high on the Irish Blog Awards longlist — think I’ll use that nominee number for next Lotto draw. (And that is the last time I shall write ‘innit’)

• Liam says:

With tongue slightly in cheek, all I can say is from an environment standpoint , print media is a disaster. Get the gov. to fund online newspapers how of the green budget for a period of time and close down the print sections entirely. Less waste, less traffic and less junk for the average punter to have to wade though. Who reads a newspaper from cover to cover anyhow. Its so 20th Century

• barbera says:

I actually saw a person buying a newspaper yesterday!! Everyone in the shop was staring and when the poor man realized his action was the focus of perplexity and bewilderment, he said, in a loud voice, to the shop assistant “could I buy this newspaper FOR MY CAT PLEASE.

• Frank Jameson says:

It’s very discouraging to see the percentage fall in the Irish Times circulation is more than twice that of the Irish Independent. I’m not sure the web has anything to do with this. Maybe the Irish Times, which has been dumbing down for some time, has taken the wrong road. The Independent is far more professional in the dumbed down market.

• Hugh Linehan says:

@Frank – would be interested to know in what ways you perceive The Irish Times as having dumbed down.

• Frank Jameson says:

HI,

First of all the weekend magazine. Then the opinion page and finally the appalling fall in the standard of English.

Search Mechanical Turk