• irishtimes.com - Posted: December 1, 2009 @ 2:45 pm

Read any copy of The Irish Times from the past 150 years for free

Hugh Linehan

We’re coming towards the end of celebrating our 150th birthday, and for the second time this year we’ve freed up our archive. If you haven’t had a chance to check it out before, please do. It’s an amazing resource where you can find out all sorts of arcane stuff about your local history, the social history of the country, or indeed (my favourite) dark family secrets.

The archive is free to all here until the end of December 13th.

• Grandad says:

Brilliant! I just found my birth notice from 60 years ago. Now I have conclusive proof that I was born.

• kynos says:

Excellent. I never used it when I had the year’s sub that converted to free archive access when ye opened up the main site to non-subscribers. I mean I did, a few times, mostly looking for stuff on the Emergency and the U-boat War. But never had the time to do much else. I’ll give it more of a go this time and thanks very much happy Christmas.

• Kev says:

Looks excellent. I can’t seem to access though. Telling me to log in / subscribe

• Hugh Linehan says:

Kev – is it possible you’re on the text archive? There is still a login requirement for this. The digital should not prompt anybody for a login

• Ed says:

Fascinating but it only seems to allow 1 free search in the digital archive, on my second search I’m asked to log in or sunscribe to read an article.

• Langston says:

Tried to avail of your generous offer of free access to archive,but-like Kev-was asked to log in on digital.

• Niall O'Connor says:

Ed, make sure the Text archive you completed the second search in, if you were within the Digital archive and cliked on the Search link it will bring you back to a text search with this the probable reason you were asked to login

• Kev says:

Hi Hugh – Like hugh said above, let me look at one item on digital archive and then on the second it asks for login.

I’m a regular to the site and didn’t realise that was there! looks superb, but a bit pricy for me at the moment!

• Kev says:

oops, like Ed said, I should have said!

• barbera O'Shcokenzy says:

Just “browsed” through the 60′s. Such nostalgia. I remember my father (army officer, now deceased, RIP) was in the Congo and I was an aspiring young tennis player. I remember my friend and I were “snapped” getting Billie Jean Moffitt-King’s autograph at Fitzwilliam. I am at the moment checking through July ’63 to see if I can find it but am going off on a tangent to the Cuban Missile crisis. Brilliant archive. I’ll never get the house ready for Christmas!!

• John Tobin says:

Its wonderful to have it rolled out free.Pity it is 12th December already here in Australia.I hope the Irish Times takes this action in the future every so often.Thanks.

• Kynos says:

I’d love to pay a reduced sub on a per download basis or log-on basis. Be happy to pay the old annual sub (£75.00 or whatever) for archive access and you could charge the higher subs for academics and news orgs with big load usage.

Search Mechanical Turk