• irishtimes.com - Posted: November 30, 2009 @ 8:16 pm

‘It’s been over a month since you asked for reader input. What have you done?’

Hugh Linehan

…asks Michael Egan, rather peevishly. Well, as you’ve probably noticed, we haven’t shut down the Saturday magazine/moved to a tabloid format/given up writing about religion, all of which were suggested. But I can say that a lot of people in The Irish Times have read your comments and have been discussing them. I should also point out that, if that ‘you’ means me, my job as online editor is strictly confined to the website; although the original question was deliberately open-ended to get as wide a range of views as possible, and that those views have been heard.

As for irishtimes.com, many of the points about better presentation and navigation have fed into our own development plans for the next few months, and I hope you’ll see the fruits of those labours rolling out through 2010. The first was the redesign of the Life, Society and Culture sections. Next up, those demanding a workable version for mobiles will be seeing a response VERY SOON. How soon? VERY. Watch this space. VERY SOON…

• Tom Ennis says:

Online offering does need to improve but if the Times went tabloid, that would probably be the last push I’d need to give up buying a daily paper altogether

• Sean B says:

Irish Times on the iPhone is the holy grail for the stuck on a train with nothing to read situation. Definitely looking forward to this.

With regards to the comments on the Magazine, I have to say that the last few Saturdays’ have contained some very interesting articles. I particularly enjoyed the Annie Mac and Michael Palin interviews. More of these and less of the thinly veined ads for clothes and beauty products would be nice.

• Knut says:

In fairness (as one of the critics of the magazine in your original post) I think it would be more fair to say that it was the content, rather than the simple presence of, the magazine which bore the brunt of peoples’ ire . I don’t want to see it discontinued, just improved. I realise that there has to be a large portion of advertising simply to cover costs, but many of the articles come across as advertorials rather than journalism. The new Life/Society/Culture tabs are a great improvement; as is the entire engagement with the online readers! Thanks

• steve white says:

doesn’t stop you from being peevish back

• catcat says:

tom doorley’s blog has gone?

• Hugh Linehan says:

Catcat: Yes, Tom has departed these shores for pastures new

• Shane says:

Yo do you know that your cinema listings on the website are waaay out of date?

Search Mechanical Turk