Ciara Kenny

The Irish Times forum by and for Irish citizens living overseas,

Class of 2013 facing emigration and low employment

Themed issue of Weekend Review by team of award-winning student journalists explores the aspirations and ideologies of this year’s graduates

Sat, May 25, 2013, 09:00

Students graduating this year went to secondary school in Celtic Tiger Ireland, but have spent their college years in a land of recession, bailouts, emigration and low employment.

Today in The Irish Times, a special edition of the Weekend Review contains articles from student journalists who recently won top awards at the National Student Media (Smedia) Awards. These young journalists explore the hopes, dreams, ideologies and realities of the third-level graduates of 2013.

This team of award-winning student journalists includes: Ronan Burtenshaw, Student Newspaper of the Year editor, and Aoife Valentine and Emer Sugrue, Student Editors of the Year.

Introduction by Ronan Burtenshaw: “Today’s graduates are the products of distinctive historical circumstances in Irish history. They are the first generation to grow up when Ireland was one of the wealthiest states in the world, and also the first to transition from this to bankruptcy. They grew up in an era when the internet was transforming how we communicate and connect. They are more multicultural, less religious, more confident and exposed to a wider range of influences than their predecessors.”

Intern nation: Interning is the most likely employment prospect for 2013 graduates, but what is it like in reality? Several interns share their stories with Una Mullally

Employment prospects: Recruitment experts and guidance counsellors say there are possibilities for graduates, of both job offers and postgraduate employment schemes, but many college leavers have decided there are none, and are choosing emigration instead. By Emer Sugrue

My personal ideology: Aoife Valentine talks to students and current and recent graduates, about how their expectations have changed in the past five years, and how recent events have shaped their personal politics and visions of society’s future