From North Irish Roots, Journal of the North of Ireland Family History Society Vol. 8 No 2, 1997. Published four times yearly.
The Somme Association Records
The following records and information are held by The Somme Association, Craigavon House, Circular Road, Belfast BT4 2NA, telephone 01232 761600.
1. Ireland's Memorial Records 1914-18. 50,000 names.
Lists of all those Irishmen as well as those of other nationalities who were killed whilst serving with Irish Regiments during the Great War. Also lists the names of Irishmen killed while serving with other British and Commonwealth Forces (Army, Navy and Air Force). Gives Name, Rank, Number, Place of Birth and Location of Death. The Somme Association's data-base includes the Grave locations of many of those who were killed as well as details (where available) of Age, Next of Kin, Home Address and Place of Enlistment. Similar details are also available on those with no known grave and whose names appear on the following Memorials: Arras, Tyne Cot, Menin Gate, Pozieres, Vimy, Le Touret, Loos, Soissons, La Ferte-sous-Jouarre, Ploegsteert, Vis-en-Artois, Cambrai, and Helles.
2. Presbyterian Records. 24,000 Names.
Covers the whole of Ireland. Lists by Presbytery and individual Churches all those who served as well as those who were killed during the First World War. Gives basic details: usually Name, Regiment, Battalion, and Home Address. Sometimes also if wounded or held Prisoner of War etc.
3. Irish Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) Winners.
Full citations and date of entry in the London Gazette for First World War DCM winners from the following Regiments: Royal Irish Rifles, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Royal Irish Fusiliers, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Royal Munster Fusiliers, Royal Irish Regiment, Connaught Rangers, Leinster Regiment.
5. Irish Casualties of the Second World War.
Name, Rank, Number, Place of Birth, Location of Death and Burial.
Craigavon House was built in 1870 in the Italianate style and designed by architect Thomas Jackson. It was the home of James Craig whose son James became first Prime Minister of Northern Ireland and later Lord Craigavon. The glazed loggia and neo-Palladian billiard room were added in the late 1880s to a design by W.H. Lynn, partner of architect Charles Lanyon.
The NIFHS office complex is located at the rear of the main house. This consists of meeting facilities, kitchen, library, office and reading room. It is open to members (visitors by arrangement) each Wednesday afternoon from 2-4 pm. A photocopying service is available at a cost of 5p per A4 sheet to assist members in their research.