This article was originally published in The Irish At Home and Abroad
journal of Irish genealogy and heritage (volume 2 #1, 1994/1995).
No longer published.
Scots-Irish in Colonial America: References and further reading
By Kyle J. Betit
- Blessing, Patrick J. The Irish in America: A Guide to the Literature and the Manuscript Collections. Washington, DC: The Catholic University of America Press, 1992. See in particular chapter 13, "Scotch-Irish," and chapter 14, "Irish in Places."
- Bolton, C.K. Scotch-Irish Pioneers in Ulster and America. Boston: Bacon and Brown, 1910.
- Chalkley, L. Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish in Virginia: Extracts from the Original Court Records of Augusta County, 1745-1800. 3 vols. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1989. Original ed, 1912.
- Clark, Murtie June. Colonial Soldiers of the South, 1732-1774 Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1983.
- DAR Patriot Index Centennial Edition. 3 vols. Washington: National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, 1990.
- Dickson, R.J. Ulster Emigration to Colonial America 1718-1775. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1966.
- Eakle, Arlene and Johni Cerny. The Source: A Guidebook of American Genealogy. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1984.
- Edwards, Don. "Stalking the Scotch-Irish," Heritage Quest. Issue #38 (Jan/Feb 1992): 42-46.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies: Scotch-Irish and German. orig Harrisburg 1886. Reprinted by Genealogical Publications, Lomball, Texas 1976.
- Eichholz, Alice, ed. Ancestry's Redbook: A Guide to State and County Sources. 2nd edition. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992.
- Falley, Margaret Dickson. Irish and Scotch-Irish Ancestral Research: A Guide to the Genealogical Records, Methods and Sources in Ireland. 2 vols. Reprint Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1988. Originally published Strasburg, VA, 1962.
- Ford, Henry J. The Scotch-Irish in America. Princeton: University Press, 1915.
- Gilmer, Georgia. "The Scotch-Irish of the Carolinas," The Carolina Herald 8 (June 1980): 30-36.
- Greenwood, Val D. The Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy. 2nd edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1990.
- Hanna, Charles A. The Scotch-Irish. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1902. Contains an extensive bibliography of materials relevant to the Scots-Irish in many states; also a map showing locations of Scots-Irish settlements.
- Kaminkow, Marion J. Genealogies in the Library of Congress: A Bibliography. 2 vols. + supp. Baltimore: Magna Carta Book Co., 1972.
- Kaminkow, Marion J. A Complement to Genealogy in the Library of Congress: A Bibliography. Baltimore: Magna Carta Book Co., 1981.
- Leyburn, James G. The Scotch-Irish: A Social History. Chapel Hill, NC: The University of North Carolina Press, 1962.
- Neagles, James C. U.S. Military Records: A Guide to Federal & State Sources. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1994.
- Porter, H. Leonard. Destiny of the Scotch-Irish. Knoxville, IL: The Porter Co., 1985. Includes information on the migration of the Rev. Thomas Clark congregation from County Monaghan to Washington County, NY in 1764.
- Revill, Janie, comp. A Compilation of the Original Lists of Protestant Immigrants To South Carolina, 1763-1773. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968.
- Roberts, Jayare, comp. Register of U.S. Lineage Societies Dorothy Hebertson, ed. Salt Lake City: FHL, 1990.
- Smith, Dean Crawford. The Ancestry of Emily Jane Angell, 1844-1910. Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1992. Includes extensive information on some of the early immigrants to Londonderry, NH.
- Speers, J. "Ulstermen in the Shenandoah Valley," Ulster Genealogical and Historical Guild Newsletter 1 (1980): 121-125.
- Stephenson, Jean. Scotch-Irish Migration to South Carolina, 1772. Strasburg, Va.: Shenandoah Publishing House, Inc., 1971. Includes information on the migration of the Rev. William Martin congregation from County Antrim as well as suggestions for researching Irish immigrants in South Carolina.
- Stewart, Reid W. "Scotch-Irish Emigrations from Scotland to Ireland and Ireland to America and SW Pennsylvania," Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society Quarterly 10 (Spring 1990): 4-14.
- White, Virgil D. Genealogical Abstracts Of Revolutionary War Pension Files Waynesboro, TN: The National Historical Publishing Co., 1991. n
Special thanks to John W. McPherson, President of the Scotch-Irish Foundation; Afton Reintjes, professional genealogist in Salt Lake City; and Beth Gay, DTJ, FSA Scot, editor of The Family Tree (publication of the Ellen Payne Odom Genealogy Library) for the information they provided and for reviewing this article.