This article was originally published in The Irish At Home and Abroad
journal of Irish genealogy and heritage (volume 2 #1, 1994/1995).
No longer published.
Colonial Scots-Irish Immigrants:
The Irish Records
By Kyle J. Betit
References and Further Reading
- Bardon, Jonathan. A History of Ulster. Belfast: The Blackstaff Press, 1992.
- Betit, Kyle J. and Dwight A. Radford. Ireland: A Genealogical Guide for North Americans. Salt Lake City, UT: The Irish At Home and Abroad, 1995.
- Curl, James Stevens. The Londonderry Plantation, 1609-1914. Chichester, England: Phillimore, 1986.
- Dickson, R.J. Ulster Emigration to Colonial America, 1718-1775. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1966.
- Falley, Margaret Dickson. Irish and Scotch-Irish Ancestral Research. 1962. Reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1988.
- ffolliott, Rosemary. "The Registry of Deeds for Genealogical Purposes," Irish Genealogy: A Record Finder, 139-156. Donal F. Begley, ed. Dublin: Heraldic Artists, Ltd., 1987.
- General Alphabetical Index to the Townlands and Towns, Parishes and Baronies of Ireland. Based on the Census of Ireland for the Year 1851. 1861. Reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1984.
- Greene, John, comp. Belfast Newsletter Index, 1737-1800. Ann Arbor, MI: UMI, 1993.
- Grenham, John. Tracing Your Irish Ancestors: The Complete Guide. Dublin: Gill and Macmillan, Ltd., 1992.
- Guide to Landed Estate Records. Belfast: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, 1994.
- Hayes, Richard J. Manuscript Sources for the History of Irish Civilisation. 11 vols. Boston: G.K. and Co., 1965.
- A History of Congregations in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, 1610-1982. Belfast: Presbyterian Historical Society of Ireland, 1982.
- An Irish Genealogical Source: Guide to Church Records. Belfast : Public Record Office of Northern Ireland and the Ulster Historical Foundation, 1994.
- Loughridge, Adam. Fasti of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Ireland. [S.l.]: Reformed Presbyterian Synod of Ireland and Presbyterian Historical Society, 1970.
- Marshall, William F. Ulster Sails West. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1977.
- McCarthy, Tony. The Irish Roots Guide. Dublin: The Lilliput Press, 1991.
- McConnell, James and Samuel G. McConnell. Fasti of the Irish Presbyterian Church, 1613-1840. Belfast: Presbyterian Historical Society, 1951.
- Mullin, T.H. Aghadowey: A Parish and Its Linen Industry. Belfast: Century Services, 1922.
- Mullin, T.H. Families of Ballyrashane: A District in Northern Ireland. Belfast, 1969.
- Perceval-Maxwell, M. The Scottish Migration to Ulster in the Reign of James I. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1973.
- Register of Ireland Census and Census Substitutes. Compiled by The Library Staff for the Genealogical Society Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Salt Lake City, 1985.
- Reid, Noel, ed. A Table of Church of Ireland Parochial Records and Copies. Naas, Co. Kildare: Irish Family History Society, 1994.
- Robinson, Philip S. The Plantation of Ulster. 1984. Belfast: Ulster Historical Foundation, 1994.
- Roebuck, P. "The Lives Lease System and Emigration from Ulster: An Example from Montgomery County, Pennsylvania," Ulster Genealogical and Historical Guild Newsletter 1 (1981): 217-219.
- Ryan, James G., ed. Irish Church Records: Their History, Availability and Use in Family and Local History Research. Glenageary, Co. Dublin: Flyleaf Press, 1992.
- Ryan, James G. Irish Records: Sources for Family & Local History. Salt Lake City, UT: Ancestry, 1988.
- Schlegel, Donald M. Irish Genealogical Abstracts From the Londonderry Journal, 1772-1784. Baltimore: Clearfield Company 1990.
- Smith, Dean Crawford. The Ancestry of Emily Jane Angell, 1844-1910. Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1992.
- Young, William R. Fighters of Derry, Their Deeds and Descendants. London: Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1932.
- Family History Library: 35 North West Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84150; British Reference Tel: (801) 240-2367.
- National Archives: Bishops Street, Dublin 8, Ireland;
Tel: (01) 4783771; FAX: (01) 4783650.
- National Library of Ireland: Kildare Street, Dublin 2, Ireland;
Tel: (01) 6618811; FAX: (01) 6766690.
- Presbyterian Historical Society: Room 218, Church House, Fisherwick Place, Belfast BT1 6DW, Northern Ireland;
Tel: (232) 323936.
- Public Record Office of Northern Ireland: 66 Balmoral Ave., Belfast BT9 6NY, Northern Ireland:
Tel: (232) 661621; FAX: (1232) 255999.
- Registry of Deeds: Henrietta St., Dublin 1, Ireland;
Tel: (01) 8732233.
- Representative Church Body Library: Braemor Park, Rathgar, Dublin 14, Ireland;
Tel: (01) 4923979; FAX: (01) 4924770.
- Ulster American Folk Park: 2 Mellon Road, Omagh, Co. Tyrone BT78 5QY, Northern Ireland;
Tel: (0662) 243292; FAX: (0662) 242241.
- Ulster Place Name Project: Department of Celtic Studies, Queen's University, Belfast BT7 1NN, Northern Ireland;
Tel: (232) 245133 ext. 3689; FAX: (232) 247895.
- University of St. Thomas: Dept. of Special Collections, O'Shaughnessy-Frye Library, Mail#5004, 2115 Summit Ave., St. Paul, MN 55105-1096;
Tel: (612) 962-5467; FAX: (612) 962-5406.
Special thanks to David Rencher, A.G., President of the Utah Genealogical Association, for reviewing this article prior to publication.
Kyle J. Betit is a professional genealogist residing in Salt Lake City and co-editor of THE IRISH At Home and Abroad.