This article was originally published in The Irish At Home and Abroad
, journal of Irish genealogy and heritage (volume 5 #1, 1st Quarter 1998).
No longer published.
Irish Place Names and the Immigrant: Addresses and References
By Dwight A. Radford and Kyle J. Betit
- Family History Library: 35 North West Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84150, USA.
- Irish Cultural and Heritage Center of Wisconsin: 2133 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53233, USA;
Tel: (414) 345-8800; Fax: (414) 345-8805.
- National Library of Ireland: Kildare Street, Dublin 2, Ireland;
Tel: (01) 6618811; Fax: (01) 6766690.
- Northern Ireland Place-Name Project: Department of Celtic, School of Modern and Medieval Languages, Queen's University of Belfast, 7 University Square, Belfast BT7 1NN, Northern Ireland;
Tel:(01232) 245133 ex. 3689; Fax:(01232) 324549.
- Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland: Colby House, Stranmillis Court, Belfast BT9 5BJ, Northern Ireland;
Tel: (01232) 255755; Fax: (01232) 255700;
e-mail: OSNI@nics.gov.uk; Internet: http://www.doeni.gov.uk/ ordnance/index.htm.
- Place Names Branch: Ordnance Survey of Ireland, Phoenix Park, Dublin 8, Ireland;
Tel: (01) 8206100; Fax: (01) 8204156.
References and Further Reading
- Andrews, J.H. History in the Ordnance Map: An Introduction for Irish Readers. Kerry, Wales: David Archer, 1993.
- Andrews, J.H. Shapes of Ireland: Maps and Their Makers 1564-1839. Dublin: Geography Publications, 1997.
- Dallat, Cahal. "Townlands - Their Origin and Significance," The Glynns 18 (1990): 40-42.
- Derry Youth and Community Workshop under the direction of Brian Mitchell. Parish Maps of Ireland. Apollo, PA: Closson Press, 1988.
- French, Noel E. "Administrative Divisions." In Meath Ancestors: A Guide to Sources for Tracing Your Ancestors in Co. Meath, 11-16. Trim, Co. Meath, Ire.: Trymme Press, 1993.
- General Alphabetical Index to the Townlands and Towns, Parishes and Baronies of Ireland. Based on the Census of Ireland for the Year 1851. 1861. Reprint, Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1984.
- Grenham, John. Tracing Your Irish Ancestors: The Complete Guide. Dublin: Gill and Macmillan, Ltd., 3rd ed. 2006.
- Handran, George B. Townlands in Poor Law Unions: A Reprint of Poor Law Union Pamphlets of the General Registrar's Office. Salem, MA, USA: Higginson Book Company, 1997.
- Hickey, Nora M. "The Relationship Between Civil & Catholic Parishes," Irish Family History 3 (1987): 59-64.
- Leet, Ambrose. A Directory to the Market Towns, Villages, Gentlemen's Seats and Other Noted Places in Ireland. Dublin: Brett Smith, 1814.
- Lewis, Samuel. Topographical Dictionary of Ireland: Comprising the Several Counties, Cities, Boroughs, Corporate, Market and Post Towns, Parishes and Villages with Historical and Statistical Descriptions. London: S. Lewis, 1837.
- List of Townlands in each Poor Law Union (or Superintendent Registrar's District), and Registrar's District. 1891. Reprint, Salt Lake City, UT: Redmond Press, LLC, 1997.
- Mitchell, Brian. A Guide to Irish Parish Registers. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1988.
- Mitchell, Brian. A New Genealogical Atlas of Ireland. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986.
- Morris, Andrew J. "Irish Placenames," Eirephile 4 (Dec. 1988): 110-112.
- O' Maolfabhail, Art. The Placenames of Ireland in the Third Millennium. Dublin: Ordnance Survey, 1992.
- "The Ordnance Survey Memoirs as Sources for Family History," North Irish Roots 2 (1991/2): 276-279.
- Parkhill, T.J. "Ordnance Survey Maps in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland," Ulster Local Studies (Journal of the Federation for Ulster Local Studies) 14 (2) (Winter 1992): 72-82.
- The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland. 10 vols. Dublin: A. Fullarton, 1844.
- Pender, Séamus, ed. A Census of Ireland, Circa 1659, With Supplementary Material from the Poll Money Ordinances (1660-1661). 1939. Reprint, Baltimore: Clearfield Co., 1997.
- Stockman, Gerard, gen. ed. Place-Names of Northern Ireland. 5 vols. Belfast: The Northern Ireland Place-Name Project, Department of Celtic, The Queen's University of Belfast, 1992-1997.
- Taylor, George and Andrew Skinner. Maps of the Roads of Ireland. 1783. Reprint, Shannon, Ire.: Irish University Press, 1969.
- Wallis, Helen and Anita McConnell. Historian's Guide to Early British Maps: A Guide to the Location of pre-1900 Maps of the British Isles preserved in the United Kingdom and Ireland. (Royal Historical Society Guides and Handbooks, No. 18) London: Royal Historical Society, 1994.
Special thanks to Ms. Kay Muhr, Northern Ireland Place-Name Project, Queen's University of Belfast, for reviewing this article prior to publication.
Dwight A. Radford and Kyle J. Betit are co-editors of The Irish At Home and Abroad. They are professional genealogists residing in Salt Lake City.