The Crossword Club includes the daily Simplex and Crosaire crosswords, along with more than 6,000 Irish Times crosswords from the last 10 years.
Samples of the crosswords are available in the print edition and the Crossword Club online.
With the interactive crosswords, you can check solutions, race the clock and save and print partially completed crosswords. The leaderboard displays the top 10 scores each day on the Crossword Club homepage.
Version 1 of the crossword is built in flash, which is the best version to use for older browsers and in particular internet explorer 8; Version 2 of the crossword is optimized for use on iPads and more modern browsers and is built in HTML5.
Older browsers and in particular internet explorer 8 are not compatible with Version 2 of the crossword. Please use Version 1 or update your browser.
Tab - Moves to the next clue in current direction. When you are at the last clue in the current direction, you will be taken to the first clue in the opposite direction.
Spacebar – Changes the direction of your clue selection.
Delete – Erases the letters from the currently selected square, square selection does not change.
Backspace - Erases the letters from the currently selected square, square selection moves to the preceding square.
Arrow keys – Moves the square selection in the arrow direction.
The Crossword Club leaderboard displays the usernames and completion speeds of the 10 fastest Club members each day. Completions on Sundays are entered into Saturday's leaderboard.
You will be asked to create a username after completing subscription. This is so your email address will not be posted, if you qualify for the leaderboard.
The following rules apply to the Crossword Club leaderboard:
- The leaderboard contains the 10 fastest correct crossword completions by members each day.
- Completions on Sundays are entered into Saturday's leaderboard.
- Archive crossword completions are not included in the leaderboard.
- Seven days of records are accessible.
- A maximum of three pauses are permitted to qualify for the leaderboard and a five second penalty is added to the clock for each pause.
- Use of the 'Check' button is permitted.
- Use of the 'Reveal' and/or 'Reveal All' buttons results in exclusion from the leaderboard.
- Members will carry out crossword completions for addition to the leaderboard fairly and honestly.
- If it is deemed that a crossword completion time is unachievable within the rules of the leaderboard, the score may be removed from the leaderboard.
If you do not wish to appear in the leaderboard, please use one of the following methods to be automatically excluded from the leaderboard:
- Use the 'Reveal' button. Please note, using the 'Reveal' button will display the solution of the clue selected. You can choose to reveal a clue that you have previously solved.
- Use the 'Reveal All' button. Please note, using the 'Reveal All' button will display the complete solution.
- Pause the game more than three times.
- Save the game at any stage and reload it from your saved game slot.
You can check your solutions online by clicking on the 'Check' button once you have entered a solution. Please note, using the 'Reveal' and 'Reveal All' buttons will display the solution(s). Use of either of these buttons will exclude you from the leaderboard.
Members will carry out crossword completions fairly and honestly. If it is deemed that a crossword completion time is unachievable within the rules of the leaderboard, the score may be removed from the leaderboard.
When you sign up to the Crossword Club, you will use your email address and also create a password. To access the Club after signing up, go to www.irishtimes.com/games/crosswords/ and simply login using these details.
An annual subscription is valid for one year (365 days) and a monthly subscription is valid for 31 days from and including the date of subscription.
No, after your first crossword subscription purchase, the subscription will renew automatically.
Your subscription will automatically renew upon expiry. This applies in both the monthly and annual subscription packages. Should you wish to remove this please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Charging for access to a crossword club is part of a growing trend amongst content-driven websites all over the world to introduce subscription models for premium services. The Telegraph, The New York Times and The Times (UK) all charge for access to their crossword services.
Annual membership to the club costs €35; monthly membership costs €5.
You can pay for your subscription online using all major credit cards.
irishtimes.com's payments provider, MPP Global, uses state-of-the-art security tools and techniques to ensure that your payment is completely secure. When you enter your credit or debit card details, a secure link is set up between your browser and MPP Global. If you require more information, please visit www.mppglobal.com.
irishtimes.com does not retain any record of customers' credit card details.
There are a number of reasons why you may be having difficulty with access. Please ensure that you are using the correct login information. Note that the password field is case sensitive and these details should be entered exactly as they were at registration. Please also check your browser settings to ensure cookies are enabled. If you continue to have problems, please email details of the issue to our Technical Support team at email@example.com.